Vertical thermosiphon design software (VTD) is a desktop application that is made to demonstrate the thermal design calculations for Vertical thermosyphons. The software mainly uses Kern method for calculations. Main features are listed below.
- Thermal design calculations using kern method
- Support S.I Units and English (U.S) Units of measurement
- Unit Converter includes 23 measurements units with 200-unit conversions
- Select TEMA types/designations
- Heat load can be entered or calculated
- Counter flow or parallel flow arrangement
- Calculate or specify Recirculation ratio
- Calculate or specify exit vapor mass fraction
- Calculate pressure drops, overall heat transfer coefficients…etc, the table included below includes more details on calculated variables but not limited to all of them.
- The calculations are preformed using trial and error basis. Based on the user’s choice the software can either start with iterating the recirculation ratio or the tube length.
- Minimum and maximum circulation ratio as well as minimum and maximum tube lengths can be specified for iterations.
- The software will also allow the user to enable built in tube counts tables or use own values for specifying tube dimensions and number. If use is using own dimensions; the software can also calculate the number of tubes and shell diameter.
- Advisory design recommendations and validation for maximum heat flux density rate.
- Mist flow at tube outlet check
- Driving force check
- Liquid height for circulation check
Available tables and databases;
- Water and steam properties
- Fouling Factors
- Material thermal conductivities
- Typical film heat transfer coefficient values, store your own values too!
- Estimate the Physical properties of pure components for more than 1450 components; the database has the ability to estimate Thermal Conductivity, Density, Heat Capacity and Viscosity. The database also included critical properties, boiling and melting points and come as a standalone interface but easily integrated with the software.
- Estimate mixture properties. (ALL ESTIMATION METHODS CURRENTLY SUPPORT LIQUIDS ONLY)
- Ability to add your own properties in the additional user databases.
- Tube counts
- Results are initially displayed in a data grid table containing all cases side by side with the initial case or main case being the first in the table.
- The table with all cases can be copied to clipboard for pasting anywhere.
- Results can also be exported to .csv file to be opened in any office software such as Microsoft excel or open office.
- Drawing summary can be generated for individual case results
- A results summary report of the case selected can also be generated copied or exported to .csv as well as printed.
|Description||Required input||Optional input||Calculated variable||Comments|
|Inlet mass flow rate||Yes||Yes||Yes||Calculated for unknown side|
|Log Mean Temperature||–||–||Yes||–|
|Heat transfer area||–||–||Yes||–|
|Exit liquid mass flow rate||–||–||Yes||Process side|
|Exit vapor mass flow rate||–||–||Yes||Process side|
|Exit vapor mass fraction||–||Yes||Yes||Process side|
|Number of tubes||–||Yes||Yes||–|
|Tube thickness||Yes||–||Yes||BWG list available|
|Tube inside diameter||–||Yes||Yes||–|
|Tube outside diameter||Yes||–||–||–|
|Number of baffles||–||–||Yes||–|
|Baffle to shell clearance||–||Yes||Yes||–|
|Maximum allowable heat flux||–||Yes||Yes||Assumed value can be provided|
|Heat transfer coefficient||–||Yes||Yes||–|
|Overall heat transfer coefficient (Clean)||–||–||Yes||–|
|Overall heat transfer coefficient (Design)||–||–||Yes||–|
|Critical mass flow velocity for mist flow check||–||–||Yes||–|
|Pressure drop – inlet||–||–||Yes||Shell side|
|Pressure drop – frictional||–||–||Yes||Shell side|
|Pressure drop – outlet||–||–||Yes||Shell side|
|Pressure drop – inlet||–||–||Yes||Tube side|
|Pressure drop – outlet||–||–||Yes||Tube side|
|Pressure drop – frictional||–||–||Yes||Tube side|
|Pressure drop – static||–||–||Yes||Tube side|
|Pressure drop – acceleration||–||–||Yes||Tube side|
|Required liquid height for circulation||–||–||Yes||–|
Vertical thermosiphon design software benefits
Simple to use and will do multiple cases as well as provide advice through checks that are carried out during calculations and displayed in results. Adding to that the Single user licenses are PERMANENT and don’t have an expiry date. License can be managed through our software activation center. License doesn’t expire as long as you follow our simple license activation and removal instructions.
Network version is also available with a license term of 3 years can be extended during purchase if required. To read more about licensing and pricing please visit the Prices and order information page
Click here to download the demo version of this software
The demo version is limited to operate for 90 days with the 4 examples included in it. Changing input is not permitted.
Available on YouTube on the URLs below:
Example 1 – English / US Units – Click here
Example 2 – SI Units – Click here
Features video: Click here
Storing data in fluids user database – Click here
You can also view the video on this website
Below is a screen shot of the software. to see more please check out our screen shots page for links
Vertical thermosiphon design software need the following computer configuration to run:
Microsoft Windows operating system
30MB free disk space;
Microsoft .Net Framework 4.6
Supported Operating systems:
Windows 7 Service Pack 1, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 10